Quang Tri Province has the 17 Demilitarized Zone, which divided the northern part Democratic Republic of Vietnam and the Republic of South Vietnam in the South Vietnam, thus being the most fierce battlefield in the whole 20 years of the Vietnam War (1954 - 1975).
The North of Quang Tri borders Le Thuy district (Quang Binh province), the South borders two districts A Luoi, Phong Dien (Thua Thien-Hue province), the West borders Savanakhet province (Lao People's Democratic Republic), with The length of the common border with Laos is 206 km, divided by the majestic Truong Son mountain range. The East borders the East Sea with a coastline of 75 km. The average width of the province is 63.9 km, (the widest width is 75.4 km, the narrowest width is 52.5 km).
Although the area is not large, the people are not crowded but due to its important strategic location, Quang Tri has been playing an important role in protecting and exploiting the East Sea, exchanging between the North and the South of the country as well as convenient circulation with countries to the west of Indochina peninsula, other countries in Southeast Asia and the world via Lao Bao – highway 9 to Cua Viet port.
During the years of the Vietnam War, Quang Tri was one of the places most bombed. Today, Quang Tri is home to many places, historical sites and potentials for tourism.
VietCam Holidays is happy to recommend the most interesting places to visit as well as the most delicious dishes to enjoy in the province.
Vinh Moc Tunnels
Vinh Moc tunnel is located in Vinh Moc hamlet, Vinh Thach commune, Vinh Linh district, Quang Tri province. On the lush, shaded bamboo road, few people know that right below their feet is a tunnel system, an "underground" world of the army and people of Vinh Linh during the years of resistance from 1965 to 1972.
In 1965, Vinh Moc village was completely destroyed under the devastating destruction of the US bombing. Vinh Linh army and people have quietly transferred their lives from the ground to the underground. After 18,000 arduous days of hard work, the soldiers of the Border Guard 140 along with the people of Vinh Moc and Son Ha dug and transported more than 6000m3 of rock and soil to create a massive village tunnel system on a red basalt hill in south of Vinh Moc village, next to the sea.
This is not just a simple battle village like other constructions, but also an underground living space for soldiers and local people. They have turned the underground into strong fortresses with 3 floors connected. The first floor is 8-10m deep to be used for maneuvering combat and shelter. The second floor is 12 to 15 meters from the ground where the villagers live. The 3rd floor is more than 23m deep, used as a storage for food and weapons for Con Co Island as well as for fighting for the army and the inhabitants of Vinh Moc Tunnels.
It can be said that the Vinh Moc Tunnels is an underground village with constructions such as domestic water wells, rice storage, Hoang Cam kitchen, guard bunkers, clinics, operating rooms, houses, maternity center, bathroom ... In particular, along the tunnel cut 1.8m deep and 0.8m wide into small cells, which are rooms for households of 3-4 people can live. Inside the tunnel, there is also a hall used as a meeting place, performing arts, films with a capacity of up to 50 people.
Ho chi Minh Trails
Quang Tri is also very attached on the Ho Chi Minh Trail, an effective supply route which plays an important role in strategic attacks, and it is also a complete base, a front of Vietnam.
In 1959, also on the legendary Ho Chi Minh Trails, the 301th battalion (the first unit of the Truong Son army) opened a successful transport route in Khe Ho - Quang Tri. More than 18 months later, North Vietnam army gradually built hundreds more kilometers on the Ho Chi Minh Trails - Truong Son route to transport weapons, and documents to the Southern battlefield. By 1965, the US troops tried to attack and determined to destroy the Ho Chi Minh - Truong Son Trails. This was also the period when Quang Tri was ravaged fiercely, but with the spirit of strong will, enemy bombs could not stop the operation on the great Ho Chi Minh - Truong Son Trails.
Quang Tri Ancient Citadel
Quang Tri Citadel is both a military fortress and an administrative headquarters of the Nguyen Dynasty in Quang Tri from 1809 to 1945. The Citadel is located in the center of Quang Tri town, about 2km to the East of National Highway 1A, 500m to the bank of Thach Han River to the South.
At the beginning of the twentieth century, Thanh Co had another prison, a secret detention center, a French soldiers fortress, a tax office by the French ... From 1929 to 1972 , Quang Tri jail is the place to imprison communist soldiers and patriots, and it has become a political school, to train the iron spirit, to fight against the enemies of the patriots.
Quang Tri Citadel is also known to the world and respected by the heroic struggle to protect the Ancient Citadel during the 81 days and nights of the liberation soldiers and people of Quang Tri.
Due to suffering a huge amount of bombs and ammunition during the war, after the reunification, the Old Citadel only had traces of some sections of the wall, the jail, the front gate, the rear gate ...
From 1993 to 1995, the system of trenches, bridges, sewers, a number of citadels, front gates were renovated, thousands of coconut trees grew inside the city. Especially a large monument was built in the middle of the Old Citadel. The monument is made of earth with the shape of a common grave, four sides reinforced cement to form a four-door of the Ancient Citadel, on top is a place for people to burn incense to commemorate.
Khe Sanh Base
Khe Sanh is located in a valley of red soil 400m higher than the sea level. This is one of three "magic eyes" (Khe Sanh, Vay Village and Ta Con) of McNamara electronic fence. There were major battles in Khe Sanh during the Road 9 - Khe Sanh campaign in 1968, the Road 9 - South Laos campaign in 1971. US President Johnson asked the Commander of Chief of Staff The US determined to keep Khe Sanh at any cost.
In 1968, Khe Sanh became the most famous place in the world. It was really famous for having many big battles in this area in 1967 and 1968.
It was the Tet Offensive when the Viet Cong opened a general offensive campaign across the territory of the Republic of Vietnam. One of the largest battles in the world on a comparison with battles like Concord, Gettyburg and Normandy. During this campaign, 20,000 North Vietnamese soldiers were mobilized to surround 6,000 Marines and about 200 South Vietnamese Rangers, but Khe Sanh did not fall. The 77-day battle, the Communists suffered more than 10,000 casualties.
McNamara Electric Fence
McNamara electronic fence, also known as Tropical Tree, is the name of the system of electronic detection devices, used by the US military south of the Ben Hai River - Quang Tri, along the demilitarized zone and the Ho Chi Minh trail.
The fence was built in June 1966 under the guidance of US Defense Secretary Robert McNamara at the time, costing US $ 2 billion. Arranging continuously in the area of 10-20 km in width, about 100 km long from Cua Viet port to the Road 9, to the Vietnam - Laos border.
Obstacle system consists of 12 layers of barbed wire, 3 m high with all types. In the front is a 500-700 m thick minefield, which often congregates around the bases.
McNamara electronic fence is considered to be bankrupted after 1968, after the Vietnamese People's Army launched the offensive on Mau Than and the attack on Khe Sanh base.
Con Tien-Doc Mieu Base
Doc Mieu is considered to be the most important base of the McNamara fence. SVN built a domed tunnel system, a mobile bunker system and a ground artillery firing toward the North bank of the Ben Hai River, with an air defense battle 37, a control center to protect the fence. Surrounding the base with thick barbed-wire fences are anti-intrusion alarm systems.
Although it is a modern base. The electronic fence has gradually been disabled by NVA strategic tactics. NVA troops attacked and destroyed each section, bringing forces and weapons into the battlefield. After three days of attacks, on the night of March 31st 1972, the enemy forces were forced to flee, leaving the posts and fortifications along with the modern electronic fence system.
Nowadays, Doc Mieu - Con Tien monument becomes an attractive tourist attraction in Quang Tri. At the foot of the victory monument are rubber tree hills stretching to the horizon, illustrating the life is strongly revived on the bombing land.
Truong Son Martyrs Cemetery
Truong Son martyrs cemetery in Quang Tri province is a memorial place to honor the beloved children of the country who bravely sacrificed their lives on Truong Son Path for the cause of national liberation. The cemetery was built on April 10th 1977. Truong Son martyrs cemetery is located on Ben Tat hill, next to Highway 15, located in Vinh Truong commune, Gio Linh district, about 38km northwest of the center of Dong Ha city.
Truong Son martyrs cemetery is a gathering place of 10,333 graves of martyrs, with a total area of 140,000m2 in which tomb area is 23,000m2, monument area of 7,000m2, green area of 60,000m2, lake landscape 35,000m2 and network of asphalt roads in the complex of 15,000m2 cemetery. The grave land is divided into 10 main areas.
Truong Son martyrs' cemetery is the eternal resting place of soldiers who died on the Ho Chi Minh trail during the Vietnam War. This is the most monumental and large-scale project of gratitude, expressing the deep compassion, gratitude and honor of the Party, the army and the people with beloved soldiers in all parts of the country.
National Road 9 Martyrs Cemetery
National Road 9 Martyrs Cemetery is one of the largest martyrs cemetery in Vietnam, located next to Highway 9, on a hill away from the center of Dong Ha City, Quang Tri Province. This is the resting place of about ten thousand heroes, martyrs, serving on 9 Fronts and in Laos during the Vietnam War.
During the Vietnam War, Road No. 9 was a strategic road connecting the Vietnam - Laos border to Dong Ha. This road became a terrible obsession for US and South Vietnamese soldiers in the years 1965 – 1972.
The cemetery has a total area of 13 hectares, gathering nearly 9,500 graves (a relative number because of the mass graves). Among them, there are 3,227 graves of martyrs whose full names are identified, 785 tombs are incomplete, the rest are unknown.
The National Road 9 of the Martyrs' Cemetery is a monumental and large-scale project of gratitude, showing the gratitude to the soldiers in all parts of the country who have lost their lives for national liberation and reunification.
Lao Bao Prison relic
The relic of Lao Bao Prison is located in the southwest of Road 9, next to Se Pon River, in Duy Tan Village, Lao Bao Town, Quang Tri Province.
After the French occupied Vietnam, they have built a series of prisons in many places to hold patriots and Communist soldiers. Since France opened Road 9 (1904), after 4 years, the French started to upgrade Bao Tran Lao under the Nguyen Dynasty to Lao Bao Prison (1908).
Lao Bao Prison is one of the five largest prisons in Indochina, imprisoning patriots and communist soldiers of the Central region. With the harsh climate, forest mosquitoes, floods together with harsh prison regimes such as: brutal torture, heavy epidemic, bad diet, sickness without medicine tormented human bodies to die slowly. Lao Bao prison became a living hell for prisoners.
For nearly 40 years of existence, Lao Bao Prison has imprisoned thousands of Communist and patriotic soldiers.
La Vang Holy Land
La Vang today is a holy place and an important pilgrimage place for Vietnamese Catholics, located in Hai Lang district, Quang Tri province. Catholics believe that Mother Maria manifested in this area in 1798. A church was built near three banyan trees, where they believed that Mother Maria appeared and was recognized as the Little Palace La Vang Cathedral since 1961. This is one of three Catholic pilgrimage centers recognized by the Vietnamese government.
An explanation is that when parishioners fled to this land, there was a disease, at that time Our Lady appeared and instructed them to look for a leaf called La Vang - drinking it will cure the disease.
Another theory is that the place named "La Vang ward" existed earlier, belonging to Co Vu village, located to the west of Dinh Cat fortress, then Quang Tri provincial town.
On August 20th 1928 the Cathedral was rebuilt on occasion of the La Vang Congress 9. This cathedral was restored in 1959. During the meeting on April 13, 1961 the Southern Conference of Bishops unanimously decided that La Vang was the National Nortre Dame Center. During the Summer War of 1972, the bombing completely destroyed the Basilica, leaving only the ragged bell tower. Since 1995, the bell tower and some constructions such as the Chapel of Our Lady, the Eucharistic Chapel (built in 2002), the Rosary Square, the Ritual, the Pilgrimage house ( built in 2004), 3 banyan trees (where Our Lady appeared) ... were repaired or newly built.
Ben Hai River-Hien Luong Bridge
Ben Hai River has been subjected to the separation of the two southern and northern regions of Vietnam for more than 20 years during the Vietnam War to reunify the country.
Ben Hai is one of the major rivers of Quang Tri Province, located along the 17th parallel from the West to the East. In July 1954, the resistance against French colonialism was successful, forcing the French to sign the Geneva Agreement, restoring peace in Vietnam on the basis of respecting the sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of the three countries. Under the Geneva Agreement, Vietnam is temporarily divided into two regions, taking the 17th parallel as a temporary military boundary.
Hien Luong Bridge was rebuilt by the French 5- 1952, 178 meters long, 7 spans, reinforced concrete pillars, paved pine bridge, 4 meters wide. The South - North dividing line is a 1cm white painted line as the boundary of the two regions. Every day policemen of the two guard areas turn over in a complex manner.
The country was in a peaceful unification, the merits of the military and people in the border area are inscribed with history. The relics on the banks of Hien Luong forever endure with beautiful and high values.
Ancient Wells Gio An
Gio An Well in Gio An Commune, Gio Linh District, Quang Tri Province is a waterway system to supply water for living and production, a unique archaeological and artistic value relic of the Cham people which preserved by the Vietnamese to this day. It is estimated that Gio An Well is over 5000 years old.
Ancient wells are located at the foot of the red basalt soil hills, formed by the technique of piling and embankment to exploit underground water in the hill. Until now, no matter how dry the weather is, the water in the old well system has never run out, is still green and cool.
It can be said that Gio An ancient well is a rare and unique type of relic. The water in the well itself flows directly from the hillsides and flows naturally so it is always clear. Interestingly, the wells regulate the temperatures themselves through the seasons (winter is warm, summer is cool). These well systems are technically perfect, very suitable for terraced farming.
Brai Cave is one of the very wide and high unspoiled caves, triangular gates many people can go through. The cave has many yellow and white stalactites with different strange shapes. Inside, there are wide spaces with rocks, with water flowing like small streams. Deep inside, there are many bigger and more beautiful stalactites.
Officials at the reserve said they can only go into the cave about 500m. In particular, the deeper you go, thebigger and more beautiful the more stalactites are. This cave is called Brai cave by officials of Bac Huong Hoa conservation.
Hoi Ky Ancient Village
Hoi Ky ancient village in Hai Chanh commune, Hai Lang district, Quang Tri province is located on the sides O Lau river.
Coming to Hoi Ky village, along the two sides of the road is solemn temples and pagodas. Attracting your eyes is the row of houses which belong to Duong family, located among gardens of green trees, running along the O Lau river breezing around the village. Currently in Hoi Ky village, there are nearly 30 households who still have their houses with age of hundreds of years.
Con Co Island
From Cua Viet to Con Co island, it takes about 2 hours by boat. The animal world on the island is very characteristic. There are many birds, snakes. But the most famous is the stone crabs, they are an abundant and important food source on the island.
Because of the diverse ecosystem, the orientation of Con Co Island is eco-tourism, attracting visitors with pristine scenery. On the island, there are dozens of hundreds of old almond trees, especially the square-leaf almond tree - a precious plant also on Truong Sa.
Coming to Con Co Island, you will be satisfied with the service of snorkeling and watching corals, because the seabed has beautiful coral reefs and precious fish species. So far in Con Co Island, there are 113 species of coral, 57 species of seaweed, 67 species of benthos, 19 species of crustaceans, 224 species of sea fish ... From a depth of 8-10m, corals occupy 85% of the seabed, their colors, shapes are very colorful and fancy like a splendid castle under the aquarium.
Cua Tung Beach
Cua Tung Beach is located in Vinh Linh District about 35 km south of Dong Ha City Center.
Cua Tung is not only a historical place but also a famous tourist destination. Cua Tung Beach is beautiful, white and smooth sand, giving you an impression of a gentle beach. Off the coast, Con Co Island is like a golden turtle rising from the blue water, which reminds us of the story of the wild legend.
It was the French who discovered this place and built many villas and resorts by the sea. At present, the ancient buildings in the Gothic style still remain. Quang Tri people can fully be proud of the natural beauty of Cua Tung beach which has become a popular vacation destination of the country attracting a large number of foreign tourists.
Cua Viet Beach
Cua Viet Beach is a tourist attraction in Quang Tri. Cua Viet Beach is located in Tan Loi Village, Gio Viet Commune, Gio Linh District, Quang Tri Province and 15km from Dong Ha City to the Southeast.
Together with Cua Tung, Con Co Island and Cua Viet Beach, the beautiful beach has been identified as a tourism development highlight of Quang Tri Province. Coming to Cua Viet, you will be able to freely admire the graceful beauty, fine white sand, stretching along the lush green willow forests. A peaceful feeling will help you forget all tiredness after stressful working days.
Cua Tung Buffalo Meat with Trong Leaves
The leaves are from trees growing deep in the forest, which is spicy but very aromatic. When enjoying with buffalo meat, it has a very suitable flavor, spicy characteristic combined with sweet meat buffalo meat makes the taste of wow. Buffalo meat is a famous specialty throughout Quang Tri, not just Cua Tung. Coming to Quang Tri without enjoying this delicacy will be a big mistake.
Quang Tri Squids
Cua Tung is famous for many kinds of fresh seafood, big and crunchy squids, priced from 80,000 to 100,000 VND / kg depending on the size of the squids. In the restaurants there are many different dishes cooked from fresh squids. Having a fresh bath then enjoying some seafood dishes is wonderful.
Mussel Noodle Mai Xa
Mai Xa mussel noodle, a familiar and simple dish, has become Quang Tri specialties thanks to its delicious taste.
Making a special feature of the mussel vermicelli in Mai Xa that is the main ingredient "mussel". Mussel meat is darker and rich in nutrients. Those who have tasted the mussel processed by Mai Xa people will never forget the wonderful taste of this dish.
- Hanoi (The capital of Vietnam) (26.09.2019)
- Ho Chi Minh city (Saigon) - Pearl of the Far East (18.09.2019)
- Hoian Old Town (Quang Nam) (26.09.2019)
- Halong Bay (Quang Ninh) (18.09.2019)
- Hue (Thua Thien Hue) (18.09.2019)
- Sapa (Lao Cai) (26.09.2019)
- Can Tho (The capital of Mekong Delta) (26.09.2019)
- Dalat (Lam Dong) (26.09.2019)
- Ninh Binh Province - Halong Bay on land (26.09.2019)
- Phong Nha cave (Quang Binh) (26.09.2019)